2023 is the 125th anniversary of the founding of the City Lawn Tennis Club! First established in 1898, originally five grass courts were laid out, of which only three remain today. The courts are located between public allotments on the north side and an area of woodlands and open meadow to the south. It is understood the land on which the courts are laid was bequeathed to the people of Rochester in 1579, by Sir Richard Watts, a successful local businessman, MP and philanthropist. Indeed, the area is known as Watts Meadow and is looked after by the Friends of Watts Meadow, a local volunteer organisation. Sir Richard Watts also left money in his will to establish the Alms Houses on the Rochester Maidstone Road, known as the Richard Watts Charity, and the Six Poor Travellers House in Rochester High Street.
© 2021 City Lawn Tennis Club, by Ricco Raga